Chocolate Cake...or Cupcakes!




My favorite food just happens to be chocolate cake...most any kind will do, but chocolate cakes are definitely not all created equal. I like one that is plenty chocolatey and dense with just the right amount (which means kind of a lot) of thick, rich ganache-like frosting on top. My mom found a recipe a few years ago that has become my go to for chocolate cakes. It's easy to whip up and doesn't call for ingredients I don't typically have on hand, and the end result is delicious! Today I decided to try using the batter for cupcakes...it worked well and the frosting was good for piping (I added an extra cup of powdered sugar to thicken it a bit.) Happy Cinco de Mayo!!




I used a small muffin tin and liners to make little cupcakes for the kids...they were the perfect size for little hands!




Here is the same recipe in cake form...I made this one for my sister-ing-law's 30th birthday party a few years ago. Add some piroulines and plenty of chocolate shavings and the end result is irresistable!!





My Favorite Chocolate Cake
2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. cocoa
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 t. vanilla extract
1 c. boiling water
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare pans (2 9-inch or cupcake tins). Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large mixer bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of electric mixer 2 minutes. Stir in water. (Batter will be thin.) Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes (for cake) 15-17 minutes (for cupcakes) until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
The Best Chocolate Frosting
1/2 c. butter, melted
2/3 c. cocoa
3 c. powdered sugar (may need more if piping!)
1/3 c. milk
1 t. vanilla extract
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sprinkles!!!!

Rice Krispie Nests

Peanunt Butter Cookies: Part II